Colon Surgery Info

Hi Everyone,

I met with Dr. Ashburn (colon surgeon) on Wednesday. My sigmoid colectomy is set for Monday, January 10. I know it will be in the morning, but I will not get the official time until Friday, January 7. The surgery should take between 3-4 hours. She anticipates that I will be in the Cancer Center recovering for approximately 3 days. The plan is to remove about a foot of my sigmoid colon. She said that is a pretty standard amount. She wants to make sure she gets the area where the tumor and perforation were and also make sure to leave clear margins. She plans to do everything laparoscopically, but if an incision needs to be made it will be a small vertical one below my belly button. 

She also hopes to reverse my ileostomy at the same time, but it depends on how everything looks and if she feels like my colon needs to heal before I start using it again. So I will either wake up and still have it or it will be gone. I am fine either way. Of course I would love to go ahead and get rid of it so I don't have to have another surgery, but I don't want to put myself in a position where I might have bowel issues for the rest of my life. Better safe than sorry. The ileostomy really hasn't been as much of a big deal as I expected. The thing that annoys me about it the most is the diet change. I am looking forward to the day when I can eat a fresh salad again. If the ileostomy does not get reversed during surgery she said it would be about 3 months before she would do the reversal. 

Dr. Ashburn is wonderful and the appointment went really well. I am looking forward to getting this done and behind me. I will have my labs checked the week before surgery to make sure that my counts are looking good. My platelets have been running a little low lately. I may need an infusion, but she said that should not have any affect on the surgery date. 

I have a CT scan on December 27 to see how things are looking so we will definitely be updating you all again afterwards. There probably won't be much to share between now and then, so I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. 

As always, thank you for the love, support, and prayers. 

-Christian

Comments

  1. Hello Christian, my name is Marco Argento, I met your husband Kenny a few years back on a fishing trip out of Beaufort. He was here with Russell and a buddy Dave took us out for the day, it was very enjoyable and we all had a great time.
    I am writing you because I have the same cancer you have. I found out on July 1st this year and am on my 11th treatment. Basically the same Chemo you are doing, pump and all. I have had 2 PET scans, 1 before any treatments and one after 6 treatments, cancer is shrinking and make good progress.
    I am sorry you had to wait 2.5 weeks before finding out what was wrong. I found out in the ER after going in the morning of 1 July for a severe pain just below my rib cage on the right side. I am going to inquire about colon surgery but it will be a while before we can do anything with my liver, it was pretty much covered on first scan, looked like the sun.
    Anyway, just wanted to touch base and wish you well with your next surgery. My wife (Shea) and I will be praying for you. God bless!
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marco, it's good to hear from you. I hate the circumstances are not better. I appreciate the prayers. Likewise, Kenny and I will be praying for you as well. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to. God bless! - Christian

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian's cancer story comes to a close

The past week, test & scan Results, preparing for what is next..